Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Healing Through the Arts Fundraiser!

courtesy of the Beverly Arts Center

 
I was recently hired to work with the outreach program at the Beverly Arts Center in Chicago.  My classes begin in October, but with the advent of the teachers strike, many teachers who started in September are on hold.  I saw on The View television show that the musician Prince is doing a concert in Chicago to help lift the energy of the city.  That in addition to the emails I get from the program director asking for patience from the artists during the strike compelled me to do something to aid this wounded community.  Below is information on my fundraiser Healing Through the Arts.  You can click on the widget to the right to donate.  Know that your donation is going to help the arts community in an area that needs healing.

The Beverly Arts Center is a valuable resource for the arts in Chicago. Its is a non-profit organization that depends on the community for support. Situated on the south west side of Chicago it provides programming and outreach for an area that is still thriving with caring communities. More importantly, Beverly Arts provides an outreach program to inner city schools in south side communities that are artistically underserved.

I was hired to be one of the outreach teachers with my start date in October. With the start of the teachers strike, many artists who started in September are on hold. Artists are not getting paid and students are not getting served. I saw on The View television show that the musician Prince is doing a concert in Chicago to help lift the energy of the city. That in addition to the emails I get from the program director asking for patience from the artists during the strike compelled me to do something to aid this wounded community.
 
I came up with the idea of a fundraiser to aid the center in providing support to the artists who work in local schools but also, to provide support for community programming for young people when they are not in school and outside of school hours. I know the strike will end soon, but with the state of affairs in public education, the arts are the first thing to get cut.
I want to ensure that the artists who work in the community are supported and that there is a place where young people can go to enjoy and explore their creative voice through the arts in the community. Know that your donation is going to help in an area that needs healing through the arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment