Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ask a Better Question


Ok, I'll admit it, I watched Oprah's Lifeclass and listen to Tony Robbins. Hey, I like the pep talks and support from their words. One of the things I've learned from listening to Tony though, is that if you want a better outcome, ask a better question.

Instead of always saying, "I don't know what to do!” I had to begin to reprogram my brain and ask a better question. You see, lately I've been feeling I don't have enough. My Dance/Movement Therapy degree is a MA and most colleges require an MFA plus performance experience to teach in their dance departments. On the other hand, I don't have enough credit hours from my MA to sit for the counselor’s license specializing in Dance Therapy in the state of Louisiana. This dilemma has driven me crazy, even paralyzed me to the point where I have relegated myself to teaching young people. That's been cool but I would like to do more.

What I have done to stay sane is homeschool my children, cook, and developed an awesome green thumb. In these past 12 years since my last degree, I've learned so much about the inner workings of my mind. In my early years, I stayed so focused on being a dancer, I didn't know who I was and quickly fell out of love with the art. Never mind that I was an awesome teacher and creative choreographer, I wanted to do something else. I must admit, it’s been lovely. If you check out www.southernvegchronicles.com and my YouTube channel under Southernveggirl, you will see me enjoying my other talents.

But now, I am looking at myself again thinking "How do I make the most of what I have?" Folks have done a lot more with a lot less and so I ask, "What is my excuse?"

Let me ask a better question... hmmm... Here we go, "What can I do that uses my creative talent and expresses who I am lovingly with financial abundance?" The answer follows...

While driving, listening to music and seeing choreography in my head, I came up with a thought. What is the biggest, wildest thing I can do? BIG, WILD, OUT THERE!!!. First response, Start a dance company, create my own dance technique, coach dancers on health and wellness, and start a dance outreach program in the community. Whew! I know that's a lot, but that's how I would like to see my gifts used.

Now that I have the answer to that question, I must ask the next, "How do I do all of that and maintain a balanced family life?” I guess that's another post, but for now, I do have a few ideas on how to carry out my WIGs (check out Wildly Improbable Goals). As with any journey, I am going to need support, lots of it. I must admit when things get sketchy I retreat, I am human.  For my sanity, I just have to remember to keep asking the better question and pray :-).

Moral of the Story
1. Ask better question
2. Get support
3. Don't be afraid of Wildly Improbable Goals for your life.

The video below is a modern class I taught at a local university almost 10 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment